Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2008

PTA Support

Last year I began a photo club and opened it to 10 5th and 6th graders. It filled up and the kids had a blast. PTA agreed to sponsor the entire club, which was about $350 for cameras and purchasing and developing film. I decided to run this club again and have even been asked by several students when it would take place. So, yet again I went to PTA to ask for their financial support. I emailed the President asking her to add me to the agenda and was preparing to give a speech on why they should put up the money for my club again this year. I was amazed when I learend they already had me on the bill for $250 in the event I decided I wanted to have another photo club. They also said that if I needed $300 it wouldn't be a problem. This is pretty cool, I must say. I haven't really had any dealings with other PTA's but mine is pretty amazing. They are all for extra arts and any programs that will add to the quality of their student's education.
With this money I have planned out the photo club schedule. We will be taking pictures of textures and learning about composition the first week. We will also be learning about some of my favorite texture photographers like Margaret Bourke-White. The second week we will be making a photo documentary. The third week students will make cyanotypes using sun print paper. I even have enough funds to purchase a kit for them that they may take home. I thought this would be a fun project to introduce alternative photography, which I have been doing a bit of myself lately. The fourth and last week we will be making photo collages from all of the sub prime photos and looking at artists who do this as well. On the last session I purchase ice cream and toppings for sundaes, which the kids loved last year. I'm pretty excited about the whole club and every week it seems I have even more kids ask when the photo club will be. Can't get any better than that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.