Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

crazy moms

So, once in a while, as an art teacher, I must vent. Here it goes. I had a couple of things that put me in a funk today but I will put them in separate posts.

This is at my second school, not my base school. I am only at this school 2 days a week and am there to simply pick up classes. I have about 5 Kindergarten volunteer moms that come in and help and I absolutely love 4 of them. However, one mom has hit a nerve with me. She tends to be overly concerned/controlling of how she thinks my art class should be run. She is helpful at times but underneath I can tell she just wants to take over and run the show, telling me we need certain crayons and giving a students a peice of paper when I specifically told him he couldn't have one because he was acting up. The other moms just do what I ask and that is that.

I told the students today that we would be having guest moms from the Japanese Immersion program here at the school come in to teach them how to do Japanese painting greeting cards. The moms get together and do this with students every year. Last year I had a mom show all of my classes how to make paper cranes, it was great! So, this OCD mom Kindergarten helper is one of the volunteers coming in to help, she said. So, I said the moms are going to lead the painting, because I assumed the moms would be training each other and know what they are doing since they didn't consult me at all. Well, apparently this threw OCD mom off and she became snappy because she didn't realize she, along with another mom were going to present this. I was out of the loop just as much as she was. This is why this school and its planning irritate me at times. I became a little flustered because I had just taught a difficult behaving Kindergarten with her help. I felt bad for the other awesome mom helper who felt a little uncomfortable with the whole conversation and snappy OCD mom. We'll see what happens next week but I'm not really looking forward to these greeting cards at all.

No comments: