Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2007

"You make it look easy"


I like to run races. I am not very fast- but I like the feeling of being apart of an event/ and the community... and I find that when I run in a group- I tend to run faster. Plus it is nice getting a t-shirt just for showing up for a 5k.
During my longer races I have really come to depend on out side support to encourage me along the way. I really appreciate most of the shouts of encouragement made by spectators- friends and families of other runners. I emphasize MOST, because sometimes people shout out the wrong thing. For example: "faster, faster", or " come on girl".. these are not on my preferred list of encouraging shout outs.
But today- one of the volunteers said what I think may be the best line I have ever hear- " Ya'll make running look easy".
It made me feel really good- like I was such a good runner that I made it look easy.. I have never thought of myself as the kind of runner who makes running look easy. I am the type of girl who finishes and her face is so red it is purple and as streams of sweat run down my body people ask if I am ok....
So for him to say" you make it look easy" ... those words meant you are great! You are a great runner! You run so well you make this look easy!! That phrase meant all those things to me. .. it was from the heart. He didn't really believe we made it look easy- he was looking for the most encouraging words to help us finish the race.

How this relates to the classroom...
I really think this is a line I could use in class. I admit sometimes I am at a loss for encouraging words. I try my best- but I wonder how my students would feel if I told them: " Wow- you make drawing a horse look so easy!"...
I bet I would see the same smile on their face that I had today ;)

This has really made rethink the importance of saying the right thing to my kids. After all- a big part of my job really is encouragement- to encourage risk taking and creativity...
So I hope to put more energy into this aspect of my job this year and I work to encourage my students to finish their drawings- just as I was encouraged to finish my run today.

No comments: