Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2007

kids are funny

One of the best things about my job is that I get to talk to a bunch of really funny kids all day. I have one student, we'll call him Al, who is super sweet and has cracked me up pretty much every week since I started at my base school. He's not the best artist in the world but he tries hard and genuinely enjoys my class. Anyway, we've had some pretty funny discussions and this is the most recent one. The other day Al and I had a discussion about the word Au pair, which by the way I had to look up to learn how to spell, twice, darn google! Here's how it went...

Through the rows of windows in my room I noticed Al being walked into school by who looked like his older brother. I had Al in class that afternoon. The class was working on their symbol collages and I had some down time to make my rounds and talk to the kids a bit. I asked Al if that actually was his older brother who walked him in and that he they looked alike. He laughed and said, "no, that's my new Au pair!" I asked Al what happened to your old Au pair? Al replied giggling "i got him kicked out!" When I asked why he would do such a thing, he said it was because the old Au pair left the stove on for a half an hour with nothing on it and went to talk on the phone in the other room. So, Al called his mom and ratted the guy out.

That's how Al got a new Au pair.

I went on to ask Al if his new Au pair had another job besides being his babysitter. Al said no, this was his only job and that his opare is from another country. "He's not allowed to be called a babysitter if he's from another country. He is called an Au pair. If he was from the U.S. then he would be called a babysitter, " said Al still giggling. "Ah ha!" I said. "I'm learning so much from you today Al."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wish I could see a picture of Al! HA!

Van Go Here said...

did you notice i previously spelled Au pair wrong? haha. i'm so not french!