Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Oh Holiday Art, It's Just Something Ya Gotta Do

So, Thanksgiving is upon us and that means a whole lotta Thanksgiving art! My school turns this holiday into a huge production with months of planning, tons of volunteers and art. The kids have a Thanksgiving feast in the gym where parents, siblings, and grandparents are invited to join if they buy tickets. I supply the art. I plan ahead and start a month and a half before the big day. I was told when I started that it is a pretty big deal and the art is really showcased (and admired ; ) on the walls.


Now, in my idealistic days I would have been very anti-holiday art but since, I have learned to be flexible, adjust my lessons, and just do my job. In my attempt to stick to my ideals and my curriculum, I incorporate what students need to know into the lessons. For instance; I have students include facial expressions and textures on their turkeys. Kindergarten is still learning how to cut so we just use the turkey to practice cutting ovals, lots of ovals! The older grades study contour line and abstraction. So, I have them turn pumkins, leaves, and other gourds into contour line drawings/paintings and oil pastel abstractions. I had second grade make fall lanscapes with falling autumn colored leaves instead of seasonal landscapes. So, as you can see, I adjust and everyone is happy.


Also, a big plus to doing the Thanksgiving art is that the parents, students, and staff absolutely love it! It gives them a greater appreciation for art that is well made... even if it is holiday art. I don't have students make art for any other holiday, however. I think people typically view Thanksgiving as an "American" or U.S. holiday so it may be more acceptable to celebrate it in the schools and doesn't break the whole church and state separation deal.











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your pattern Turkeys are so much fun- and the landscapse are very original!
I love the distorted pumpkins too- I wonder how you inspired them for that lesson!
I am using your lessons next year!- You should post a link to your lesson plans! :)